Clearing the decks, TEN topics.
I’ve got a case of blogger’s malaise. Happens. Happened to Kolonich. Kinda happened to Frowns although:
- His pace of quality blogging at his peak was unsustainable and,
- Seems like his real job took off.
Me? I’m paying attention and there are many items that could be a blog post and just haven’t got me spun up enough. I have hot-take fatigue.
But maybe you’re still fresh. So below is a list of subjects that are or have been on the plate lately.
Talk amongst yourselves.
I’d like to see if anyone wants to take one of these on for a guest post or if there’s enough critical mass on any of these to merit a full post.
1. Cut Josh Gordon?
2. What’s next for Dowell Loggains? Board op for Northwest Arkansas’ best sports talk radio?
3. An unequivocal “Manziel is a bust” take.
4. Keep the suits away from football guys both in off-site boondoggles and especially in draft rooms.
5. Cardale Jones offers several angles:
- Football god,
- YUNO go pro,
- Get outta here with your mid-round draft grade rating Mr. Amateur-Film-Study Guy,
- Hey Cardale, about that prospective entourage of yours…1
7. The widely reported epic outfall from #LOSSOFCONTINUITY!!! caused by dropping a back-biting assistant coach and firing a moron from your staff.
8. JR Smith, JR Smith, JR Smith.
9. The Browns to chase those Franklin County Steelers fans through pathetic training camp move.
10. And of course the dont-change-the-uniforms cry in the dark is still out there and it ain’t writing itself but I have a lede:
… greedy NFL owners with toady MBAs consulting millennial-oriented focus groups to corrupt one of the precious few remaining threads linking to our forebears in order to sell jerseys to hipsters in coastal growth markets? I mean it’s one thing when national marketing ignores flyover country but when your hometown team kicks you in the nuts with a trifecta of ticket price increase, training camp move to ‘wealthy Ohio,’ and discarding a uniform with continuity that only the Packers, Cowboys, Chiefs, Bears, Giants**, Raiders can match because,,, I don’t know,,, there’s a d-bag on the fence between buying a Bucs or Browns jersey? Fuck off. Just. fuck. off Alec Scheiner. But hey, ‘the guy spoke at the SLOAN CONFERENCE!’ I don’t know why I don’t dig Alec Scheiner, but I don’t. Don’t trust him and believe he’s more in Jimmy’s ear than any football guys and believe he thinks he’s a player because, Bill Simmons. It’s irrational and a maybe bit parochial (since he’s not FROM HERE) but I see him as a problem.
For me, it’s probably the uniform piece that’s gumming things up because how many windmills can one person tilt at after all? If the idea of getting a mascot for The Dawg Pound from a dog pound didn’t get traction,34 I’m kinda like ‘why bother’ on the uniform question. You only got carpetbaggers coming in and changing the uniforms because they want those Columbus Steelers’ fans. Repeat: They are marketing to Cbus Steelers fans over guys like you and me. No biggie. “The NFL is a business” say a 100 Darren Rovells as if that’s a valid reason and I’m just a naïve idealist.
Don’t want no Darren-Rovell-esque talk on my blog but if we’re going there, Rovell and his clones should bear in mind that it’s generally more cost effective to protect your existing customer base and the risk of alienating loyal fans to chase frontrunner types is a fools errand. (So says a million 1992 Raiders’ Starter Jackets.) The Maras, Rooneys, McCaskeys are also in this “business” and manage to respect their tradition and their long-time fans. So no, I reject that grasping for every last dollar while participating in a private cartel with name-your-price TV revenue is ok or ethical or moral. If you think it is, then enjoy your TD-commercial-kickoff-commercial and may I also point out that it will be YOU who pays for those obscene TV contracts in the form of cable bill bumps? That the wrongness of all this needs to be verbalized in even a blog like this because it hasn’t been through any other major media outlet… it’s simply depressing and it makes me cranky and I wish to be less so.
See there? It turns out I did have a take.
I’m just spitballing so let me know if you want to bite off one of these subjects, if you’ve got something on your mind that isn’t getting air play, or just kick the above subjects around down below.
11. Late add, bonus topic: “Lennon or McCartney.” I actually have a spreadsheet comparing who wrote what and was pretty surprised at the balance.
- And yet, I’m one who didn’t know what the Ginn Academy was and I’m one who looked it up and now do know,, so mission accomplished with that presser I guess. [back]
- My first pass on this went: Carman and friends kicking things off; Lima and Fox mid-day; AtoZ afternoon drive; Hooley/Jerod at 6; and if Goldhammer is on my station at all he’s pulling a midnight to six shift. [back]
- It’s not too late to do right and here’s a shelter-dog female Mastiff named Sassy who can keep that doofy-named “Swagger” company. [back]
- How dumb is that Swagger name now? [back]