What we’re hoping for in day two.
Let’s just go through some name we’ll be hearing tonight and I’ll offer my two cents. I had Deone Bucannon in my wish list post, but he’s gone. Who else looks good? Who might be a train wreck? Here’s some thumbnails of guys I do and don’t like based mainly on my the info I’ve soaked up in the last couple months.
At #35 — happy.
- Jordan Matthews, WR – Vandy; My top choice. Huge hands. Prototype size-speed. Guts over the middle. Makes plays in traffic.
- Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE – Washington; I just think a backup plan on Jordan Cameron would be prudent. I guess this is out of left field but it makes sense when you think about it.
- Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB – Nebraska; I suppose this is a long shot with other needs trumping cornerback. But this is the guy if you want to help Whitner change the personality of the d-backfield.
- Allen Robinson, WR – Penn State; Frankly haven’t researched him myself. People I trust like him.
- Martavis Bryant, WR – Clemson; This is your high ceiling athletic guy for if you’re pining for Mike Evans. Faster than Watkins. Hey that’s what his coaches said.
- Tre Mason, RB – Auburn; What a running back should be. Have seen him rated lower than other backs, disagree. Know we have Ben Tate, would still be a good/great pick in second round.
- Kareem Martin, DE – UNC; Feels too early for a non-need development project but read the McGinn report on this guy.
At #35 — meh.
I don’t hate these guys and if Farmer takes them, that’ll be good enough for me. They just don’t thrill me.
- Xavier Su’a-Filo. Can get guards/tackles later and easier than first round rated ‘skill’ positions.
- Marquise Lee. McShay had a factoid this morning saying that Lee had the highest drop percentage among the WR prospects last year. The one thing we can’t have are drops.
- Joel Bitonio. Bode likes him, I don’t know him, see Sua-Filo comment.
- Cody Latimer. Always suspicious of pro-day draft stock risers.
- Carlos Hyde. Hyde simply didn’t blow me away when I watched him. Mason did.
- Kyle Van Noy. I dunno, feels like the Chuck Knoublach of linebackers. Fundamentally sound. And that’s fine..
At #35 — do not want.
- Cyrus Kouandijo, OT – Bama; Seems beat. Unimpressive all last year. Injured? Stay away.
- Morgan Moses, OT – UVA; Moved like an old man at the combine.
- Chris Borland, LB – Wisc; Shortest arms at combine, 29.5. How do you play through NFL blocks with those? Love his game. Maybe on day three.
- Davante Adams, WR – Fresno; Classic scout quote in McGinn: ““All his big games were against (expletive) competition like Hawaii”
- Jeremiah Attaochu, LB – GaTech; Saw him dogging it on that total dog GT defense. That whole team is toxic. Do not want.
At #71 — want.
- Gabe Jackson, OG – Missy State; If he’s here in the third, don’t think twice. Yeah, I know he didn’t wow people at the combine but he is a guard. ZBS or not, as long as Shanny is looking to revive the Browns’ Sweep, Jackson will be good for the next ten-fifteen years.
- Phillip Gaines, CB – Rice; Cornerback is such a value position. I’ll never say no to decent-sized talented athletes here.
- Jack Mewhort, OT – Ohio State; Crushes John Simon in the circle drill.
- Pierre Desir, CB – Lindenwood; See Gaines above.
- Paul Richardson, WR – Colorado; His McGinn report reads like a Mike Wallace description.
- Antonio Richardson, OT – Tennessee; Has long arms and lots of bench reps. The McGinn report on him is not great. Coaching project with big payoff. I think I just talked myself out of this pick.
- Jimmy Garoppolo, QB – EIU; I guess this would be a little cray cray but as long as we’re doing a QB competition thing…
- Zach Mettenberger, QB – LSU; Really undervalued, don’t know why no one likes him. Plus he won in the epic “Mo Versus” that launched a million gifs.
At #71 — meh.
- Bishop Sankey, RB – Washington; Did not like the Emmitt Smith comparison in the McGinn report.
- Brandon Thomas, OT/G – Clemson; He’s out this year with a torn ACL. Would be a Barrett Jones like insurance value pick. Not sure we’re talent-rich enough for that and besides, Pinkston is our man for that.
At #71 — do not want.
- Marcus Roberson, CB – Florida; Just a dog in the combine.
- Lamarcus Joyner, CB – FSU; He’s 5-8 or 5-9.
- David Yankey, OG – Stanford; Jonathan Martin part two.
- AJ McCarron, QB – Bama. Dead to me.
- Andre Ellington, WR – SCAR. Short. If we draft a short guy, it must be Archer.
Special trade back into the third round late tonight move — DO WANT!!
Dri Archer, RB/WR – Kent; He’s a must-get but also a luxury so I slot him behind Jackson. He’s Tavon Austin if you don’t have to trade EJ Manuel and Kiko Alonzo to get him and if you like your ‘explosive’ ‘playmakers’ to run faster, jump higher, and be stronger. Given that Austin went #7 last year, Dri Archer is top five talent minus the hype machine.