If you can only have one…
Yesterday, our friends at Red Right 88 revived the “5 Questions in 5 Minutes” technique for creating interesting blog posts. Perfected at Cleveland Reboot, 5-in-5 selects a handful of men of letters and poses five questions serving as a jumping off point for a regular Cleveland sports Algonquin Roundtable.
There was one question in particular that seemed simple but is actually a devilish conundrum-producing puzzle.
The Browns can only sign one outside free agent. Who do they go after and why?
Predictable right? Six Cleveland Browns focused panelists will yield six Jairus Byrd votes, right? Nope:
|Jeff Rich||MTAF (and Cheddar Bay)||Byrd|
|Dave Kolonich||Reboot, Emeritus||Arthur Jones|
|Murray Alexander||East of Ehlo||Daryl Smith|
|Jonathan Knight||@jknightwriter||Runningback X|
I think this is terrific. Byrd, ok fine; Kolonich takes Arthur Jones because we’re all playing checkers; I really like o-line help in general and Saffold in particular; Daryl Smith… interesting especially if you’re looking for pass cover; obviously we need a RB, less obvious is that it might be the top priority; and Byrd.
This got me wondering how you all would answer this question. So here on the eve of free agency with a pocket full of cash, you can only sign one player:
Who is the one player would you sign?
- Both Mack and Ward are re-signed;
- Any UFA selected must play for the Browns (i.e., players don’t get to opt out in favor of Miami’s jet-skis and strip clubs.).
- Anyone else tending to believe the Antonio Cromartie rumor? I very much didn’t like this when Barnwell mentioned it: Cromartie was 109th out of 110 CBs last year. But on reflection, I understand he was playing hurt and here again I have to trust Pettine until he causes me to question him. Pettine would know Cromartie… and he is 6’2″…
- Anyone tending to believe the confluence of Ward highly sought after and Donte Whitner news springing from Dustin Fox sounds legit? Ward out, Whitner in?
- Anyone else got a sinking feeling that Mack’s agent has something ominous brewing and that the Browns will lose two All-Pros in free agency?
Wouldn’t that be Brownsy? $50M in cap and coming off a four win season, Berea manages to be the only team in NFL to lose two All-Pros in free agency?
Alrighty, that’s all for now. Who you got?